Brittany Murphy, the young actress that appeared in movies like Clueless and Uptown Girl, who passed away in 2009 from pneumonia, is back in the news after her mother claimed that the actress may have died from toxic mold, reports the Huffington Post.
Brittany Murphy’s mother, Sharon Murphy, claims that the people that built the Hollywood home that Brittany was living in are to blame for the mold and the death. Oddly, Brittany Murphy’s husband, Simon Monjak, died a few months after his wife. Now Sharon Murphy is claiming that she was tricked into signing a settlement that would prohibit her from suing the construction company.
The twist now is that instead of suing the builder, Sharon Murphy has hired a lawyer to sue the former lawyer for allowing her to sign the settlement. She is trying to recover the amount of money she might have gotten in a wrongful death action.
It remains to be seen what comes out of Sharon Murphy's case. However, if she wins, it will be interesting to see how the court evaluates damages. Usually the way to go is through a person's lost earning capacity. But if the person is an actor or some other creative type who works occasionally, it may be harder to determine their worth. Brittany's age (just 32), life expectancy, and habits would definitely play a part in the calculation. Questions like where was her career headed would also be part of the picture. Similar questions would apply for Simon Monjak's life.
Still, in a suit for for legal malpractice it is generally quite difficult to prevail. And so the entire question of whether or not a Brittany Murphy's toxic mold death had merit will not get the attention that perhaps it should.
- Find a Boston Personal Injury attorney (FindLaw)
- Brittany Murphy Death Toxic Mold (TMZ)
- Sledding in Boston Could Be Risky For Property Owners (FindLaw's Boston Personal Injury News Blog)